U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Draft Policy Statement on Early Childhood Career Pathways
Workforce Development Framework (WDF) aims to support states and early childhood programs by providing recommendations from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for developing and implementing career pathways to support the professional learning and practice of early childhood educators and program directors.
This statement aims to:
- Raise awareness about the need for career pathways that support and develop the specialized competences and skills of early childhood educators and early childhood program directors;
- Highlight the importance of building a progression of professional development and educational opportunities for the early childhood workforce, making it understandable to all stakeholders as a key strategy to expand high-quality early childhood education for all children from birth;
- Provide recommendations for state agencies to create the policies and resources to provide a career advancement pathway with the meaningful supports needed for individuals in the early care and education field;
- Provide recommendations for early childhood program leaders to support staff and take advantage of professional advancement opportunities; and
- Identify related resources to support states and local programs.