Scope of Practice for Midwives in Australia from the Australian College of Midwives defines the roles, functions and responsibilities that:
- A registered midwife is educated and competent to carry out;
- meet legislative requirements, professional standards, and local or organizational policy;
- are accepted as contemporary midwifery practice by the profession;
- meet women’s and infant’s health needs and enhance their health outcomes;
- aim to provide evidence-informed care; and
- are collaborative through consultation and partnership with the woman and other health care professionals.
The document is underpinned by the International Confederation of Midwives International Definition of a Midwife.